Why you shouldn’t use mothballs at home
Many people use the moth to repel cockroaches, termites, although some western countries use mothballs to repel bats, squirrels, mice…
According to the US National Pesticide Information Center, the pungent chemical odor of mothballs not only irritates the nose but can also cause headaches and be harmful to humans. Also, due to the shape of the candies, they can be mixed with food and swallowed by children or pets, causing poisoning or health problems.
Naphthalene is made from two main components, naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene. Research from Oregon State University (USA) shows that mothballs work by releasing chemicals into the air. If you smell it, you’re likely inhaling dangerous substances that can also cause headaches, shortness of breath, and nausea. When this smell is in the air, it gets onto your furniture, clothes, and floors and can be difficult to get rid of.
Research shows that people who are exposed to mothballs for a long time, often in vapor or dust form, have harmful effects on their eyes. Mothballs in particular can cause cataracts. Pregnant women who are exposed to mothballs through inhalation or ingestion can cause anemia in their babies.
The Department of Health and Hospitals advises against storing mothballs in cupboards, drawers or any other room in your home. If you must use mothballs, store them in an airtight container. If your items have been exposed to mothballs, they should be washed thoroughly to avoid the risk of inhaling the chemicals.
your linh (According to House Digest)